P.O Box 90493
Interest in Forestry: central
CANAM acts as a representative body for all conservancies and its objectives are, inter alia, the following:
1. To represent as many properly established conservancies as possible in Namibia and to act as the coordinating body of these conservancies.
2. To liaise and endeavor to cooperate with the relevant authorities for the establishment, recognition and enforcement of legal implications in respect of conservancies and conservation in general in Namibia.
3. To actively encourage members to generate the interest and active participation of landowners, bona fide Land occupiers and their employees in the conservation of fauna and the environment in general.
4. To encourage and coordinate research and projects in respect of natural resource management.
5. To protect, regulate and improve the quality of the total environment.
6. To facilitate and coordinate development of a marketing strategy and conservancies.
7. To create awareness, both locally and internationally of the objectives and activities of CANAM.
8. To raise funds for the promotion and implementation of the objectives of CANAM.
It soon became obvious that there exists a lack of awareness amongst the Namibian population concerning conservancies and conservation in general. CANAM and its individual members have facilitated the establishment of a few conservancies, but there still exists a dire need to inform the public at large about conservancies and the important role they must play in the future of Namibia.