HQ address: Private Bag X 10
Type of Organisation: NGO,
Interest in Forestry: peipheral
The Botanical Society of South Africa was established in 1913, the same year that the now world famous Kirstenbosch Garden National Botanical Garden was started. The land for the garden was granted by the Government on condition that an appropriate organization was formed from civil society to support its development. The Botanical Society has faithfully fulfilled this obligation as well as extending its support to the other seven National Botanical Gardens [DEVELOPMENT FUND] around the country. It has also become involved in flora conservation and education. The Botanical Society is non-profit organization with a registered fundraising number.
The Botanical Society presently has over 15 000 members resident in 45 countries around the world. There are sixteen branches in South Africa. Active conservation, education and publication programmes are also run under the auspices of the Society. A quarterly journal, Veld & Flora, is produced and sent to all members. The first issue of the journal came out under the name of the Journal of the Botanical Society in 1914 and changed to the quarterly new look Veld & Flora in 1975. The journal carries a wide variety of articles on the National Botanical Gardens, indigenous gardening, flora conservation, natural history and society news.